f you want to travel internationally in 2021, read this.
While the pandemic is almost certainly on its way out, any and all travel this year is still uncertain. I don’t know about you folks, but if I can get out of the country this year, safely, I surely will. However, trying to travel in 2021 is still fraught with financial dangers and in many cases, there is a clear way to negate this risk.
The value in airfare right now on refundable, not flexible, tickets is simply staggering. An airline would, of course, rather sell you a nonrefundable ticket, touting “flexibility”. No matter how good the terms are on an airline’s booking flexibility, do you know what the most flexible kind of travel credit is? It’s cash.
There doesn’t have to be a reason to refund a refundable plane ticket, just a desire. To give you an idea, in the world of true business elite. It is not uncommon for a traveller to book several refundable business-class tickets for one day. If their meeting is over at 8 a.m., they take the first one and refund the remaining five; if it looks like it’s going later, they take the second and refund the other four. For international business class, that is refundable—$10k is often a bargain price.
That’s not the case this year.
Here are some prices from Denver to Europe, Africa and South America this summer. Note that this trend is not present in Asia/Oceania as yet.
Denver → London
Economy: Non-refundable $715 Refundable $924.45 Difference: +$227
Business: Non-refundable $2520 Refundable $2795 Difference: +$275
Denver → Paris
Economy: Non-refundable $664 Refundable $874 Difference: +$210
Business Non-refundable $2395 Refundable $2809 Difference: +$414
Denver → Johannesburg
Economy: Nonrefundable $1375 Refundable $1675 Difference: +$300
Business: Non-refundable $3795 Refundable $3708 Difference: -$87
(True and the refundable had a better schedule too!)
Denver → Santiago (Chile)
Economy: Non-refundable $927 Refundable $1375 Difference: +$448
Business: Non-refundable $3915 Refundable $4015 Difference: +$100
Denver → Lima
Economy: Non-refundable $514 Refundable $616 Difference: +$102
Business: Non-refundable $1364 Refundable $1464 Difference: +100
Meanwhile, I have had so many requests for business class airfares that are refundable, that I started this Facebook group for those that are interested.
- Top Tips for G7 Leaders - and Travelers Like Us - to Experience Cornwall
- New, Luxury Water Park Makes a ‘Splash’ in the Bahamas
- How Can Travel Lovers Celebrate World Tapas Day?
- 'Revenge Travel' is the Latest Trend - And Here's How to Get Some
- PLACES WE MISS VOLUME 7: The Western Cape and the Turbine Boutique hotel
- Travel Companies Offering Free Vacations to Frontline Workers - and How You Can Get Involved
- This Cruise Line Kicked Guests off a Cruise. Here's Why it's Good News for You and Cruise Travel
- Milan's Shuttered Duomo will Ring with the Voice of an 'Angel' as Bocelli Performs Easter Concert
- And Now For Some Good News In Travel
- Open for Optimism